Pages

Friday, May 06, 2011

Who doesn't love Lasagna??

I'm Italian, so I grew up loving all things pasta. Lasagna is no exception. My Grandmother used to make it about once a year...no lie. When she would make it, it was a HUGE family get together. She would end up making 2 huge pans of it. I always remember asking her why she never made it more often, because let me tell you, it was amazing. She would always say "Because the entire family comes by, you know how expensive that gets?" Love it. She wouldn't use hamburger meat, at all, period. She would use ground italian sausage. She would also never use ricotta cheese. She would use cottage cheese. I know that is an acquired taste but let me tell you, it was amazing.

PW's recipe for one of the lasagna's she makes is really good as well. She also uses the cottage cheese, which I am surprised at because not too many people will eat that. For whatever reason, I wasn't paying attention and totally added Thyme to the recipe. So I had to start scooping all of it out. It still left some flavor but it was alright. I am sure without it, it won't have a certain flavor so next time I make it, I will pay more attention! I also used petite diced tomatoes instead of whole (again, they didn't have whole at the grocery store!!).

While I wouldn't say it was the best ever, my Grandmothers is the best ever, this reigns in a close #2. When I make Grandma's Lasagna I always make a small patch. So for the big patches (when people come over) I will most definitely make this :D


Recipe Used:

Ingredients

  • 1-½ pound Ground Beef
  • 1 pound Hot Breakfast Sausage
  • 2 cloves Garlic, Minced
  • 2 cans (14.5 Ounce) Whole Tomatoes
  • 2 cans (6 Ounce) Tomato Paste
  • 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
  • 2 Tablespoons Dried Basil
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 3 cups Lowfat Cottage Cheese
  • 2 whole Beaten Eggs
  • ½ cups Grated (not Shredded) Parmesan Cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons Dried Parsley
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 1 pound Sliced Mozzarella Cheese
  • 1 package (10 Ounce) Lasagna Noodles
  • (add 1/2 Teaspoon Salt And 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil To Pasta Water)

Preparation Instructions

Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet or saucepan, combine ground beef, sausage, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat until browned. Drain half the fat; less if you’re feeling naughty. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, 2 tablespoons parsley, basil and salt. After adding the tomatoes, the sauce mixture should simmer for 45 minutes while you are working on the other steps.
In a medium bowl, mix cottage cheese, beaten eggs, grated Parmesan, 2 more tablespoons parsley, and 1 more teaspoon salt. Stir together well. Set aside. Cook lasagna until “al dente” (not overly cooked).
To assemble:
Arrange 4 cooked lasagna noodles in the bottom of a baking pan, overlapping if necessary. Spoon half the cottage cheese mixture over the noodles. Spread evenly. Cover cottage cheese with a layer of mozzarella cheese. Spoon a little less than half the meat/sauce mixture over the top.
Repeat, ending with meat/sauce mixture. Sprinkle top generously with extra Parmesan.
Either freeze, refrigerate for up to two days, or bake immediately: 350-degree oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until top is hot and bubbly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...