Pages

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Prime Rib and I don't mix.

Saying that I am picky about my steak is the understatement of the year. I can't stand any type of fat, gristle, etc on my steak. I just can NOT do it. If I try to, I am gagging and come on, that is never a pretty picture. So typically when I eat steak, I gut the center out and leave a ring of nastiness (at least to me) on my plate. Always. Never fails. I just can NOT do it. The only steak I have been able to eat has been filet mignon. That is normally the best cut of steak you can get! But let's be real here. Its expensive. I wish I could afford to eat an amazing filet mignon every single night of the year. Cause trust me...I would.

Having said that I decided to make a prime rib on New Years Eve for dinner. A friend, we shall call him D, was coming over and apparently prime rib is his steak of choice. So to say that I was a tad nervous is an understatement. I'd never cooked this kind of steak before. In fact, my experience with cooking steak was next to nothing.

The recipe I used was extremely simple. Garlic, Salt, Pepper and Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Score. Put it in the oven at 500 degrees for 20 minutes and then cook for 60-75 minutes at 325. Boom. Bam. Done.

Or was it?

So I put the meat thermometer in and all these juices came out. I was like Umm, this isn't right...too much. Or not. Apparently, prime rib is supposed to be like that. Yeah I don't know! So I stuck it back in for 25 minutes. Wrongo. The thickest part was nice and juicy and pink but the rest...not so much. So needless to say it was overcooked. Good. But overcooked. D and Other Chef devoured it so I guess it wasn't that bad!! But all that fat...no thanks. I think I will stick to my filet mignon.

Prime Rib ready to go in the oven!

Delicious...but not to me.

Homemade red skin mashed potatoes

Fresh green beans steaming

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...